The Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano is a high-quality musical instrument that offers Yamaha’s proprietary Pure CF Engine which produces sounds with incredible detail and clarity. The keyboard features Yamaha’s best Graded Hammer Standard keybed, which provides the feel of an acoustic grand piano. This digital piano is a top-of-the-line in the PSR-SX Series. That’s because it delivers the best in its class of Arranger Workstations you’ll find in the market today.
With the PSR-SX900, creativity is limitless. It features a completely redesigned sound system, user interface, Joystick, new assignable functions, and Live Controllers to tailor your needs appropriately. Therefore, you’ll end up having enough room to be as much creative as you want.
In this review, we’ll offer you the right insight to help you know whether this instrument is right for your needs and goals.
Features of the Yamaha PSR-SX900 Digital Piano
The Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano packs a wide range of unique features that are bound to make your playing experience fun and exceptional. This piano will get you inspired as you inspire, thanks to everything that it includes to help improve your playing skills. In fact, the piano is perfect for songwriting. Let’s check out all the features that it offers.
- 61-key keyboard
- Organ (FSB)
- Initial Touch
- Touch response: normal, soft 1, soft, 2, hard 1, hard 2
- TFT color wide VGA LCD
- Size: 7 inch
- Touch screen
- AWM Stereo Sampling
- 128 maximum notes on polyphony
- 1337 voices, 56 drums/SFX kits
- Insertion effect
- Master compressor
- Master EQ
- Part EQ
- 5 sample songs
- 16 tracks
- Data capacity: 3MB/Song
- Tempo range
- Octave button
- Owner’s manual
- Online member product registration
- AC adaptor
- Music rest
Total Weight: 25.35 pounds (11.5 kg)
Yamaha PSR-SX900 Digital Piano Design
The Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano measures approximately 40″W x 5.5″H x 17″D. It also weighs approximately 25.35 pounds, which makes it a bit portable and easy to carry anywhere. The design of this digital piano suits any pianist’s needs, as it can fit properly in your home, studio, or even on live stage performances. It features a black color finish that makes it compatible with any décor you decide to store the piano.
There’s also a display included in the keyboard of the piano that makes it look modern and appealing. The style assembly of the piano also makes it easier to move from one place to another.
ALSO READ: Yamaha PSR-E463 Digital Piano Review
The PSR-SX900 features an FSB, 61-key keyboard that provides remarkable comfort and performance. The keyboard has heavier initial key resistance and excellent key travel. The piano has a refined keyboard structure that includes an adjusted fulcrum, which allows you to conveniently play the keys. There are also upgraded components that significantly suppress the horizontal key movement, and this contributes to great key performance.
The Joystick feature included in the piano also provides intuitive pitch and modulation control, which allows you to play rapid trills, finely nuanced modulation, and dynamic pitch blends, from just a single and well-configured controller. The 7-inch touch display and new graphic interface offer you full control over all the features of the piano. Additionally, you can easily activate all the functions or select from a wide range of functions. That means you can assign them to the 6 assignable buttons, pedals, the home shortcut menu, and the live control knobs. Once you’ve done that, you can then recall them with just a single touch.
Sound quality is a significant factor to consider whenever you’re buying a digital piano. Luckily, the Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano offers class-leading sound quality. The piano features an in-depth and sonically stunning set of voices that will make your playing fun. There’s also a listing of great tools that you can utilize, as it allows you to play them however you want to express yourself.
There’s also a sound of new drums included in the PSR-SX900, which are derived from Revo! Drums of Genos. These drums offer a new level of authenticity to your playing.
What’s more, the keyboard includes 4 parts that deliver optimal performance. These four parts are; Left, Right 1, Right 2, and Right 3. When you combine these four keyboard parts, you’ll have the capability to create rich instrumental textures and enjoy the convenience of your performance.
The Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano also offers high-resolution output, thanks to the responsive polypropylene diaphragm in its speakers. These ensure crisp and high-quality tones, while the diaphragm structure offers a balanced sound in the entire listening area of the piano. The main objective of the audio output is to deliver the highest sound quality possible. The new Digital Audio Converter (DAC) offers high-quality sound over a wide frequency range, which ensures the piano is clear and authentic.
Some of the connectivity options included in the PSR-SX900 are Bluetooth, MIDI IN/OUT, LINE OUT, USB to Device, and USB to Host. These allow you to connect to other devices such as your PC, smartphone, and tablet. You can also utilize the piano as a MIDI controller if you want, or play along with your favorite tunes stored on your other devices.
Extra Features of the Yamaha PSR-SX900 Digital Piano
Here are additional features included in the PSR-SX900.
- Chord Looper – This feature allows you to record a chord sequence and play it back immediately. This helps to free up your left hand from playing the chords, thereby offering new ways to improve your performance. Since these chords playback in a loop, there won’t be any need to repeat the chord pattern manually. Therefore, you get to focus on your playing to improve your performance.
- Control – The Style Selection Reset enables you to easily move to the beginning of the bar when you press the RESET/TAP TEMPO button. This feature is suitable for accompanying users with varying time signatures. If you want Song Playback, all you have to do is press one of the buttons from 1 to 4 in “Song Position,” and the song will jump back to the position you want after the piece has reached its end.
Who Is the Yamaha PSR-SX900 Digital Piano For?
The Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano is for anyone who wants Yamaha’s best keybed and a highly sophisticated sound engine. This digital piano includes plenty of unique and ideal features for both beginners and advanced pianists.
- It comes with a new FSB keyboard with 61 keys and an excellent touch response.
- Bluetooth, MIDI IN/OUT, LINE OUT, USB to Device, and USB to Host connectivity options. These make it easier to use the piano with other devices.
- Portable, durable, and efficient. The PSR-SX900 is easy to transport and use in your home, studio, or live stage performances.
- High-quality sound production, thanks to the available effects and convenient speakers.
- The piano is quite user-friendly, as it features a display that you can use to control all the features faster.
- The user manual that comes with the keyboard is not well written.
- It’s also difficult to configure the keyboard to record MIDI on an external sequencer DAW.
- Unfortunately, the piano doesn’t offer a wide range of expansion sounds.
In conclusion, the Yamaha PSR-SX900 digital piano is an instrument that Yamaha enthusiasts and professionals alike should consider. Although it has some drawbacks such as the incompetently written user manual and limitation of expansion sounds, it still ranks among ideal digital pianos to consider buying. Besides, its price range is ideal because it offers value for your money.